Thursday, August 18, 2011

Very Old RADsymptoms Remembered Courtesy of an Old Friend

Ugh... It's been a while...  but I spoke yesterday to the woman who is an adoptive mom to her bio-grandson.  She and her hubby WERE so very supportive OH-so-many-years-ago as we entered the adoption process. 

 Her adopted, and our adopteds have been simultaneously going "through it" as young adults. 

She is jealous that our RADs are in respectable careers... and openly wonders how bad could our kids' condition REALLY be?

I have no clue what diagnosis, if any, her son has.  With her son, this friend has ALWAYS insisted every issue has ALWAYS been everyone else's fault.  Her little angel boy couldn't have possibly been the one who blah blah blah... She regularly camps out in denial. 

She rejoiced, literally did the happy dance, when I first shared our heartache related to our RADadultKids meltdown and attack against us 2 years ago she replied.... "finally!!! Your family has always been so damned perfect!!! It's about time!!!!!!" 

Which to be honest
kinda pissed me off, 
but I get it.  
People who are struggling
with their own children
often find people
w/rainbows and unicorns
coming out of the ass 
annoying.
  I really do get it. 

Yesterday that woman was reminiscing about when our kids were first placed, and reminded me how my adorable 2 1/2 year old son had just been introduced for the VERY first time, HAD NEVER-EVER MET HER EVER BEFORE... AND jumped RIGHT into her arms and asked for a hug and in that moment, our new little son, captured her heart... "forever."  

Did I remember?

Yikes!

Yeah, I kinda sorta did remember her telling everyone that story about our adorable new son... but that was WAYYYY before I realized a child jumping into the arms of a complete stranger IS a key RAD trait!


At the time it didn't strike me as incredibly odd... after all... We were eager to introduce our new kids to our friends and eager for friends and family to welcome our beautiful new children with open arms!!!!!
 

AND... after all she wasn't ANY OLD STRANGER IN THE PARK (like our officially dx'd RAD would run up, to snuggle with, and gleefully skip off with.) 

Yeah...  within the last two years ESPECIALLY... I know our son is RAD... I've suspected "disinhibited" ever since the kid's "conjoined meltdown" ...but apparently there were many signs I didn't even know to recognize back in the day. 



Another point of annoyance in our brief conversation... she was telling me she bumped into her "favorite officer" (our RADdaughter) at the local dance joint.  She was telling me our daughter is doing "SO VERY WELL!!!"  and "You know she CAN'T BE STUPID if she passed police training!!!"

I kept my cool and explained "there is a big difference between stupid and mental illness.  Our daughter has been exhibiting many signs that the mental illness she was diagnosed with when she was first placed with us all those years ago"   

For me, that call was enough "catching up" with that friend for a while... a long long while!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Sweetheart, sometimes people just have to tear others down to make themselves feel better. Looks like you realize that though. You are amazing and I love you!