Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Forever Family"

Once upon a time my husband and I dreamed of adoption... all my adoption related dreams were all so-very-happy.

My husband and I were thrilled when our adoption dreams came true!  Sure!!! The early years were difficult!!!  There was a diagnosis in 1995 for our brand new daughter... "Reactive Attachment Disorder with Hypervigilance."  (16 years later and I still almost never find others using the specific wording our 6 year old's psychiatrist MD used to label our new daughter's mental illness...) 
The first three years were CHALLENGING to say the very least, but we were young and so-very-optimistic... and things in our family... in our home became so very beautiful!!!

We had a minimum of 10 beautiful years before the most severe living nightmares began... 
These days I go to sleep... 
I have nightmares 
about our once-upon-a-time
"dream children"...
I wake up... 
the real-life nightmares continues. 

I had nightmares again last night... all dream-sequence-absurdities that so very clearly sum up the real-life nightmare we have been living in the years since our RAD's started approaching "legal adulthood." 

I grieve... such tremendous grief!!!

It is so absurd... because...

I am grieving the living!!!!

I buried the ONLY earthly father I have ever had this year.
.

The ONLY  mother I have ever had is now his widow.
 .

Both are my biological parents.
.


My six biological siblings and I were raised by both of them, together.
.

 Had Dad lived a few more months...
Mom and Dad would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this month. 
                                                           
Dad and I have always had a reciprocal loving relationship.

What a wonderful thing it is 
to be confident in love! 


Dad and I 
have always been 
part of 
a    REAL  
"Forever Family."

In Dad's "last years" our bio-daughter frequently commented with admiration how my Dad was loved and respected by MANY ...and looked up to as a "father figure" to so many fatherless individuals.

 ***
Certainly there is pain and grief regarding loss of my beloved "Daddio" here on earth!
                                                           
Yet,

the pain related to my father's death

is not nearly as 
deep
and as  
cutting

as the depth

of  
pain
and  
grief

related to our adult RADs' "RAD-typical" rejection of us.


"They
(adoption promoters) 
PROMISED us 
and our "new" kids that
we would be  
"Forever Family."

My definition of "Family" is directly related to my experiences.  
My kids draw their definition of  "Family" from their experiences. 
I believe one of our biggest problems
in our relationship with our adult adoptees is  
we've had different experiences.



I can't imagine going through life without the foundation of my Mom ALWAYS being my Mom... and my Dad ALWAYS being my Dad. 

I never had my parent's friends... "friends of the family" attempt at ANY LEVEL to "save me" from my biological parents... not from the chores they assigned, nor from the loving and healthy rules they had established for me.  No couple ever offered to become my "new mommy and daddy" once I was over 18.  (not before I was 18 either... not ever!)

We prayerfully hope one-day our RADaffected adoptees will be able to have loving reciprocal relationships.

And while we wait... 
my husband, bio-daughter, and I 
remain heartsick!!!!!!!!!!!!

 .
.
.
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
      But
when the desire comes, it is a tree of life."
-Proverbs 13:12

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Praying with you!

Anonymous said...

I love hope. "and hope does not disappoint us." Romans 5:5