Monday, November 12, 2012

The Kind of Mom I Wanted to Be

There was a woman who really inspired me as a kid.  She was a great role model for the kind of mom I wanted to be.  She was an adoptive mom.  I don't remember her name, I don't remember her daughter's name, but I do remember the kind of parents she and her husband were... and I wanted to be parents like them. 

Invested.  Interested.  Devoted. 

Mission accomplished.  It's nice to look back with confidence knowing I've achieved one of the hearts desires I've had as a life's goal. 

It was soooo cool to have been back in the old neighborhood seeing "their" house again.  I thought about knocking on the door... and letting them know what an impact they had made in my life.  The house looked like yuppies had taken over.  And I wasn't sure if their house was one in, or two in from the corner.  I opted not to knock and see. 

In my mind I wondered how a visit might have gone.  I wasn't so eager to see former friend who was my age, but I was eager to see her parents.  (I recall not especially liking her...but I really loved how her parents loved her!!!)

There was a part of me that wanted to hear about their brand of "happily ever after" regarding their adoption.  I wanted to hear how their kid "turned out."  I wanted to hear about their inspiration for adoption. 

The adoptive couple had introduced me to the card game "Bullshit!" where the purpose of the game is to lie again and again and get away with it. 

I wondered after raising RAD adoptees if that game was part of RADtastic parenting to cope with the profuse lying associated with Reactive Attachment Disorder. 

As we passed the street where their house was, I asked my mom if she remembered my friend from years gone by... Mom didn't... it's okay... I didn't remember their names either.   

Maybe I'll have the gumption to knock and inquire about them the next time I'm in town. 

No comments: