Monday, December 24, 2012

Nothing To Do With Anything Really... Except Fun and Awesomeness

Hubby and I saw THE COOLEST bird ever the other day....

I got home and checked my bird book to see if I could find the name of the critter...

Nope... not in that book anyway.

I've been spending wayyy too much time looking online trying to find the bird...

I''m thinking it's an "upright perching waterbird."  From the back it looked like it was perched like it was trying to dry it's wings a bit... and was tall and narrow yet so fluffy on the top as we passed its front.

It had the COOLEST elaborate FLUFFY tuft of feathers on its head(possibly winter plumage???) 

The bird was mostly black but had white polkadots along its wings... or across its belly.

Beak was kind of yellow-y orange. 

I know I've seen something like it before... It was soooooooo pretty!   I'm not sure if I saw it at a zoo or in a photo, maybe in a nat geo mag... but this was a random sighting right along a relatively quiet (for that time of day) road just as the sun was setting.  What a thrill to see it out in "the wild" ..."natural habitat" of our suburbia.

I'd not consider myself a "birder" but I do love to see gorgeous birds and my one and over the years the only bird book has gotten plenty of use as I've tried to identify the beauties that have caught my eye.

I do have a "birder" friend... she tells me our area gets a great deal of "misplaced by storms" rare sightings.

This year Christmas has brought some early presents... interesting theme on the early gifts... "fire and ice" hmmm....

Our oldest wanted to make sure we got to enjoy snow this year... She found an interesting way to make that happen...
 


Annnnd my hubby has gifted me with an outdoor chiminea style fireplace (and an arriving in a few weeks patio to enjoy it on) I'm so excited!!!!!  I've been lighting a big candle in it indoors to enjoy it while keeping us safe (and it clean) until patio is finished. 


On the "bummer" side of things my "awesome Orlando tiara wearing moms" keychain broke while I was doing holiday errands. 

On the still-awesome side of things...I still have the photo... ANNNND the memories....  ANNNND I'll see them again soon!!!!!!

No comments: